Thursday, March 21, 2013

Rule of the Law

When it comes to my work, I want it to be protected. Although there are laws to cover me while I have a copyright on my works, there are some laws that have a loop hole. According to the laws and regulations about copyrights in the book, "Some uses of copyrighted work are considered fair use--that is, the use may infringe, but the infringement is excused because the work is being used for a transformative purpose such as research, scholarship, criticism, or journalism." (Patent, Copyright, & Trademark, Richard Stim, Pg. 201) Although ultimately it is an infringement to use copyrighted works without permission, there are exceptions to the rule, which I didn't know. However, it makes sense. There are many things posted on the internet, information in words and sentences that can be used for research in a project or to quote someone for a school assignment. It would be cool to be quoted for one of my works in research for fashion or something of the sort. Then again, it would still make me feel better to have a copyright on my works in case what I wrote was used for something bad rather than something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment