Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Legal Authority

The first lawyer of my choice was a guy name Gwynne Dumbrigue, a lawyer that my Mom has hired for personal matters. I tried contacting him, thinking he'd be willing to help me since he's friends with my Mom. However, that didn't work out the way I planned. Scrambling for another lawyer, I remembered one of my good friends from Michigan had a father who was a lawyer. When I contacted her, she said he could possibly help me with my assignment. However, that didn't work out the I planned either. It turns out her father was a probate lawyer and wouldn't be able to answer my questions regarding contracts and copyrights.

Finally, I received help from a friend who gave me the number of a lawyer. Turns out, he's actually a teacher here at the Art Institute, and I had this man as a substitute teacher a couple months ago for one of my classes. The lawyer I used for my project is named Todd Uglow. Aside from teaching, Mr. Uglow is also a intellectual property lawyer. According to the book, "Intellectual property law consists of several seperate and overlapping legal disciplines, each with its own characteristics and terminology: Patent law, Copyright law, Trademark law, and Tradesecret law." (Patent, Copyright, & Trademark, Richard Stim, Pg. 5-6) This makes Mr. Uglow a great person to interview because the laws he deals with for his job are the laws and answers I need for this final project. 

I'll be honest and say I was skeptical to call him just because it's pretty intimidating calling someone you don't know and asking them for help. I eventually got over the fear and nervousness and called Mr. Uglow. I contacted him by calling him on his cell phone from the number provided by my friend. At first, he said he couldn't talk to me because he was running late for a class. However, he did say if I called him two hours later, he'd be free to answer my questions. I called him back later on and he was very helpful with answering my questions, answering them in great detail and giving examples of other possible scenarios. Mr. Uglow was very knowledgeable and gave me great insight on what I should be aware of in certain situations. Overall, a great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment